Monsoon seasons in Karachi come with their boons and banes. From one perspective, the sight of troubled roads and open electric wires haunt us, but from the other end, the sweet fragrance of muddy roads and the aesthetic sky leave no doors closed for inducing ecstasy.
However, during monsoon season, there are tons of things in our homes that require our attention. From wooden doors to roof leakages, and from wall seepages to drain blockages, these can become a cause of headache if not taken care of properly. Here we’ll discuss the possible home care tips for such problems that are enough in the monsoon rains.
Reconstruct or Renovate Your Rooftop
Suppose you are located on the outskirts of the city, for example, in Bahria Town Karachi. In that case, you might experience more rain compared with your neighbors living in the center of the town. This phenomenon happens due to the coast of the Arabian Sea, where storms are generated quite frequently.
To counter such rains, you need to have a robust rooftop that makes the water flow smoothly to the drainages without absorbing any of it. You can also build a pipe that leads the water to drainage without pouring it on the road. Many people also practice using some cement that creates the slope on the roof for water flow.
You can also try the directions below, which will be light on the pocket and require less hassle.
- Install plastic roofing that creates the slope for successful water drainage.
- Find the seepage points and mend them using roof sealants.
- Apply cement on inevitable cracks or spots.
- Renovate the roof utilizing a tar sheet.
Clear The Gutters And Drainages
Fixing the sewage system in Karachi is like a mission impossible for the city’s caretakers. We can always find some gutter somewhere in the city that is always overflowing and making a mess for the passerby. You may follow these precautions to ensure that such a thing won’t happen to the drain near your home.
- Call a gutter cleaning service operating in your local area before rain hits.
- Make sure the fetched-out debris isn’t placed near the gutter hole.
- Make sure your home pipes aren’t clogged on their way to drainages.
- Seal the gutter’s top precisely, preventing any leakages.
- Install the downspout extension on the lines.
Such changes can be made by any local service or by government organizations. Hundreds of such services are available at the cost of a simple ‘Google search.’ And make sure to decide the rate beforehand starting the operation.
Keep an Eye on Wall Seepages
We all know wall seepage can become highly irritating, especially in the rainy seasons. First of all, rotting walls don’t look cool, and secondly, it also weakens the inside structure of your home. People often use tiling along with other short-term methods to remove seepages, but sometimes, the new changes don’t seem to match the house’s aesthetics and thus look awful in the end.
Here’s what you can do to eliminate the seepage problem without any extraordinary changes and stop it from happening again.
- Reduce indoor humidity by using ceiling/ ventilating fans, green plants, or an air conditioner.
- Make sure the seepages aren’t from any sewage or drainage pipes.
- Use water-resistant weather shield paints from renowned brands.
- Seal the gaps made by water cracks using sealants.
- Introduce tiling as a last resort, only if it looks good.
Walls are the sensitive pillars of our houses. If they weaken, your home isn’t a safe place to live, eat, and sleep. Also, note one thing: not to mend all the above changes by DIY but hire professionals to do the job.
Add/ Remove These Accessories
As monsoon season hits your home in Karachi, there is a time to pack up or unfold some things for some time, at least for three months.
Some Don’ts of The Rain:
- Avoid lightning unwanted bulbs to stop the influx of mosquitoes and insects.
- Remove heavy curtains from the balconies to let natural breeze and light come in.
- The first thing that you need to pack up is your home mats, rugs, and carpets.
- Avoid running in the homes and keep a check on chimneys.
- Evade touching unsafe electrical appliances or wires.
Some Dos of The Rain:
- Protect the books by locking them in, especially the ones that come with paperbacks.
- Ensure your ACs are working properly; they will help reduce humidity.
- Lit up fragrance candles if you want, or simply use air fresheners.
- Take out an umbrella and raincoats or jackets when going outdoors.
- Clean doorway, halls, and gallery to avoid falls and tripping.
These handy suggestions are simple to follow and easy to enforce. Outskirts areas of Karachi, like Bahria Town or Bahria Apartments Karachi, could benefit significantly from such home care tips. Thus, implement them without having a second thought.
Protect Wooden Materials
Monsoon season isn’t great for wooden-made products, such as your dining tables, sofas, chairs, beds, and even wooden lamps. According to studies, water is the most potent ingredient in the wood decay process. Following are the valuable and creative ways to save wooden products in your home.
- Oiling: Use tung or linseed oiling to improve the texture of the wood, and it’s the first step of waterproofing.
- Sealing: Use materials such as polyurethane, varnish, or lacquer work as sealants.
- Waterproofing: In the end, use stain sealant to nullify any room for water decay.
What’s The Way Forward?
Rain signifies blessings, but don’t make it look like an indication of disaster. Take essential steps and don’t fall it’s usual and preventable traps. If you’re looking for a dream home within the posh area of Bahria Town Karachi, RAAS – Smart Property Solutions can help you in this regard.
Questions or concerns about real estate investments in Karachi? Connect with RAAS expert for smart future investments.